Friday, March 23, 2012

It's a Beautiful Season for Lacrosse!

A former high school lacrosse player used to exclaim, "What a beautiful day for lacrosse!" on the nice sunny days of lacrosse. However, not all days are so sunny. The first year I coached, I remember a lot of rain, cold rain to make matters worse. The coaches and teams used umbrellas, raincoats, hats, whatever would work to keep us dry. Scorebooks got soggy, duffle bags got soggy, the ball bag got soggy. You get the idea. The season was wet and cold and we were wet and cold. I yearned for the indoors of the volleyball season. For the past two years, we started the out with several feet of snow on the ground. Practices were held indoors or in parking lots because the fields were covered with snow and then, as the weather warmed, with mud. Teams with grass fields were scrambling to scrimmage teams that were lucky enough to have the coveted turf fields. But this year is different! The winter was mild and the area didn't see much snow. Winter enthusiasts were dismayed by the lack of snow. Skiing was limited on the east coast and the the ski season came crashing to an early halt. But for those of us who love lacrosse, it's a blessing. After a few cold days, the weather has been warm and dry. We have been able to practice outdoors and on a field everyday. The team is weeks ahead of where we have been in the past! So, as I coach on one field and watch my son play on another, I hope mother nature remains kind to us, and I can trade in my umbrella for a bottle of suncreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment